The Center for East Asian Studies’ Japan, China and Korean Studies Library Travel Grants are designed to assist scholars from outside the Chicago metropolitan area in their use of University of Chicago’s East Asian collections for research related to Japan, China and Korea. Priority consideration is given to those at institutions where there are no or few library resources in the East Asian languages, and no major East Asian library collections are available nearby. Normally, an applicant is eligible to receive one award per academic year.
For the 2018-2019 academic year, we have a limited number of grants of $500 each, to be awarded on a merit basis to faculty members, graduate students, and independent scholars engaged in research.
The grant takes the form of a reimbursement for actual travel expenses. Original receipts must be submitted along with a reimbursement form obtained from the Center for East Asian Studies.
Grant funds may be used for:
- Domestic travel to and from the University of Chicago library (including mileage)
- Copies of pertinent archival resources
- Local accommodations
The grants are open to citizens of any country. However, all travel to and from the library must be via U.S. carriers. Applications should include a letter, a brief description of the research topic, and an estimated budget.
Applications for the travel grant for the 2018-2019 academic year are now being accepted. The awards must be used before June 30, 2019.
To fill out an application, please Click Here.
- Estimate your travel expenses. Travel must originate from at least 100 miles away from the University of Chicago.
- Include a 250-500 word description summarizing your project and detailing why the University of Chicago collections are essential to your research.
- Include a list of specific collections or resources that you plan to consult.
- Graduate students must ask a faculty advisor to write them a letter of recommendation. We will not consider an application complete until we receive the recommendation.
Please address any questions regarding this program to: firstname.lastname@example.org or 773-702-8647.