Submit a Reimbursement

This page explains the processes for submitting reimbursement requests for University related expenses.  Please read this page fully and carefully before submiting requests.

Jump to:
how to submit a travel reimbursement request
how to submit a non-travel reimbursement request

Submit a Travel Reimbursement

The Center for East Asian Studies reimburses students for travel related expenses under a conference travel grant or pre-dissertation research grant.

The University will reimburse reasonable and prudent business expenses.  Allowable expenses include economy class airfare, lodging, meals, taxi fares, and other transit.  Reimbursements can only be processed after travel is completed.

If you are unsure if an expected expense can be reimbursed, please contact CEAS before you incur the expense.  You may also refer to the Financial Services Quick Reference Guide to Reimbursable Expenses.

  • Reimbursement request must be submitted within 30 days of your return.
  • All original receipts must be taped securely to 8.5" x 11" sheets of paper so that the entire receipt is visible and the page can be sent through a copier.
  • All receipts over $65.00 must show the last 4 digits of the credit card used. If no such receipt is avaliable, please provide a bank or credit card statement showing the charge. 
  • Please use Oanda to convert foreign currency to USD for the date of the expense.
  • Visit CEAS or email to obtain a hard copy of the travel expense voucher.
  • Complete the top portion of the Student Certification for Business Related Travel Reimbursement form or visit CEAS to obtain a hard copy.
  • Submit the Travel Expense Voucher, Student Certification, and all receipts to CEAS at 1155 E. 60th St., Room 310.

Reimbursements can take 3 weeks to process after you submit your request.

Notes About Travel Reimbursements:

  • The Travel Expense Voucher must be completed in full.  Click here to see an example of a completed Travel Expense Voucher if you are using a blue hardcopy.  
  • Your airfare receipt must show your name, the class (i.e. "economy"), and proof of payment such as the last four digits of your credit card.  An itinerary or boarding pass alone is not a receipt.
  • Students are not able to claim per diem.
  • If receipts are in a language other than English, please translate the purpose of the receipt.  For example, write "taxi" or "meal" on the receipt.  It is not necessary to translate the entire receipt.
  • Again, use Oanda to convert foreign currency to USD for the date of the expense.

Submit a Non-Travel Reimbursement

The Center for East Asian Studies will reimburse students for business expenses that are not related to travel.  For example, students may be reimbursed for a meal with a guest speaker at a CEAS-sponsored event.  Please contact CEAS before you make a purchase to ensure that we can reimburse you.

Reimbursements can take 3 weeks to process after you submit your request.

Notes About Non-Travel Reimbursements:

  • For reimbursements of business meals with 10 or fewer guests, you must list the name and affiliation of each guest (e.g. "Dr. Jones, University of Chicago").  For meals with 11 or more guests, you only need to specify the total number of guests.
  • For restaurant receipts, you must submit the itemized receipt in addition to the signed receipt.